Hylton knows Policy!
Policy manuals are a must for every organization
Does your organization have an updated policy manual? If you answered no to that question, this blog post is for you! Policy manuals are a MUST for every organization, no matter how large or small. Read on because we are going to share with you:
- Why policy manuals are important?
- What to include in your policy manual?
- How to roll out a policy manual to your staff?
Why policy manuals are important
A policy manual provides management and staff with the best opportunity to be successful at work. A well written policy manual is a documented set of guidelines that clearly outline performance expectations, benefits, as well as the rights and obligations of management and staff.
The advantages to having a current policy manual include:
- Clear and consistent communication,
- Improved new staff orientation,
- Documented conduct and performance expectations for all staff,
- Reassurance that all employees will be treated fairly,
- Clear framework for dealing with performance issues and complaints,
- Fair and consistent decision making and administration of policies,
- Helps to avoid conflict and misunderstanding, and
- Helps to ensure consistency as the organization evolves.
What to include in your policy manual?
No need to get fancy or use industry jargon in your policy manual. The best policy manuals are written in clear, concise language. A great manual should begin with your organization’s mission and vision statement as well as a code of ethics. A policy manual should address at minimum the following:
- Employee hours of work;
- Salary and benefit information;
- Criteria for leaves of absence;
- Performance management procedures;
- Disciplinary procedures;
- Resignation and termination policy;
- Grievance policy;
- Workplace health and safety policy;
- Drug and Alcohol policy;
- Code of conduct that outlines expectations and specifically prohibits harassment, discrimination, and violence;
- Confidential information policy; and
- Internet, email, and social media usage policy.
How to roll out a policy manual to staff?
An effective roll out of a policy manual is a great way to get employees excited about the document and familiar with its contents. You can start getting them excited by having them be involved in the development of certain policies. Once the manual is finalized, lunch and learn sessions can be delivered to review the information in the manual and provide staff with an opportunity to ask questions. You can have weekly policy pop quizzes complete with prizes and bragging rights. Make the information fun and engaging so staff can really relate to it. Just because a document contains the word “policy” doesn’t mean it has to be dry and boring!
Creating a policy manual may be one of the most important things your organization does. Don’t stress about it. We can help you develop a manual that is relevant and meets the labor standards for your organization. You’ll be amazed at how a policy manual helps to increase organizational efficiency and effectiveness!